Lodgepole Complex Wildfire Relief: Here’s How you Can Help
Sand Springs – The Lodgepole Complex Fire West of Sand Springs, Montana has grown to over 226,000 acres over the last four days. Despite the unpredictability of this capricious monster, one thing is certain: The generosity of friends and neighbors has been immense and continues to grow.
Since the fire took off on Friday July 21, volunteers have shown up from across the county and the state to bring water tankers, graders, generators, food and anything they can to help.
Community members have utilized Facebook to make and answer requests. Mary Brown from LO Cattle Company 10 miles west of Sand Springs off of Highway 200 says, “The outpouring of love has been so generous with food and groceries that food and water is no longer a concern for the firefighters. Now, we are looking at all the people that have been completely devastated by this fire who are trying to find ways to pay for hay and take care of their cattle. The only way they can do that is through finding trucking, money and hay sources.”
The fires continue to burn as the wind has picked up on Monday morning. Many ranchers are still fighting to defend what land and livestock they have left and can only dream at this point of what “rebuilding” will look like.
For those who are interested in helping, here is where you can help or donate:
· Checks can be made to Garfield County Fire Foundation c/o Garfield County Bank PO Box 6, Jordan, MT 59337 (406-557-2201) or send to Circle c/o Redwater Valley Bank, PO Box 60, Circle, MT 59215 (406-485-4782). NOTE: Applications for Short term and long term funds can be made to Garfield County Fire Foundation and will be distributed by their board. Call the Garfield County Bank for more info.
· Cash and credit card donations for fuel are accepted at Farmers Union Oil / Cenex in Jordan at 406-557-2215
· Cash and credit card donations are accepted at the Sand Springs Store 3198 Highway 200W (Sandy Gibson – 406-557-6144)
· Cash and credit card donations for fuel are accepted in Winnett at B&D Gas Station (406-429-5291)
· Cash donations for fencing, hay and grazing are accepted by Petroleum County Stockgrowers Relief Fund PO BOX 147 Winnett, MT 59087
· Online donations can be made here.
Courtesy of Mary Brown, Brown Ranch in Sand Springs